Punctuality is So Me!

04:54 Nala Mazia 0 Comments

Photo by Nala

Have you ever waited for someone for so long, because you come on time but they don’t? Or is it you who is barely on time?

I want to tell a brief story that just happened today. This day is a special day for I had a kind of reunion with my friends, after months being apart. We decided to meet at 9 am somewhere. I had estimated the time I need to get ready and get there. I would’ve been on time if I didn’t drop by the gas station. As a result, I got there 4 minutes late. Can you guess what happened? Yep, no one was there. Later I knew that some of them had got there, but they went somewhere first. Oh, so I was the latest, I thought. Apparently not, my other friends hadn’t even left home yet! They finally came an hour later.

That story is only one of so-and-so much other cases. It happens a lot, in any kind of situation. On account of how common it is, no one seems to mind their late coming (in informal dates). They knew that there would be someone coming late, so in case it happens, they deliberately set the time earlier. For instance, they will have an activity at 11. They tell others to come at 9 or 10, so even if someone is late, they will still be able to hold the event punctually. Everyone knows that old yet common trick. Unfortunately, as everyone knows this, they will have the same thought. They will say, “I bet people will come late. It’s better to be off an hour after the settled time.” In the end, no one comes at 9 or 10.
Yes, punctuality. It is rarely performed by people around me. In my area in Indonesia, it is no secret that punctuality is a scarce thing. Not always, though, but usually. Even the phrase “jam karet” (literally means rubbery hour) is so common. That is what I know. I know it since I’ve got many experiences regarding punctuality. So far, most people around me still set aside punctuality. I’m worried if it becomes a trait.

Luckily, punctuality has always been my priority. I always manage my time by having a sort of timetable in my head. Thanks God, latecomer has never been my label. The sad thing to be punctual, while your friends are not, is that you always come first, and are lonely for a couple of minutes. Yeah, that is my experience, which often happened. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t take it as a disadvantage. I keep telling myself that being on time will not give me any loss.

Nevertheless, guys, let’s remind ourselves to be punctual in any occasion. Don’t just follow your friends whose habit is coming late! Assure yourself that punctuality is so you! It is better if you can make them on time just like you. Finally, good luck with your self-improvement! :))

0 comments: